From Thomas Schraitle <tom_s...@web.de>
Subject Re: Asian fonts in pdfs
Date Sat, 06 May 2006 16:23:05 GMT
Hi Matthew,

On Saturday 06 May 2006 17:48, Matthew East wrote:

> I'm trying to build (using fop 0.20-5) some pdfs of some guides which
> are in Asian languages (Taiwanese, Chinese, Korean etc) and the
> resulting pdfs don't show any of the characters, just hash symbols.
> Does anyone know how I can improve this situation?
>
> I've put an example .fo file and the resulting .pdf file at this
> address:
>
> http://mdke.org/ubuntu/fop/
>
> Hope you can help!

I read the FOP mailinglist from time to time but I am not very familiar
with FOP at the moment. :) So my suggestions/assumptions might be wrong.
But what I saw from your FO file it seems everything ok. My editor
displayed something that looks very Korean. :) According to your examples
you specified

 font-family="serif,Symbol,ZapfDingbats"

As far as I know, FOP 0.20.5 can use the first entry from the above list
only. So if I am right, FOP just looks into the font "serif". And if it
can't find any Korean characters it falls back to the hash character.

To make a long story short, I would suggest:

1. Check the font if it contains Korean characters
2. Check your FOP configuration file.

Probably you should also give FOP 0.92.x a try. As far as I read there are
lots of improvements.

Hope that helps,
Tom

--