From "Jay Bryant" <...@bryantcs.com>
Subject Bug in table rendering (version 0.92beta)
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 00:47:05 GMT
Hi, all,

I think I found a bug in table rendering.

Consider the following simple FO file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="simple" page-height="11in"
page-width="8.5in" margin-top="1in" margin-bottom="1in" margin-left="1in"
margin-right="1in">
      <fo:region-body margin-top="1in"/>
      <fo:region-before extent="1in"/>
      <fo:region-after extent="1in"/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:page-sequence master-reference="simple">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:table border-left-style="solid" border-style="solid"
border-width="0.5pt" border-color="black" table-layout="fixed" width="100%">
        <fo:table-column column-width="1in"/>
        <fo:table-column column-width="6in"/>
        <fo:table-body>
          <fo:table-row>
            <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="0.5pt"
border-color="black">
              <fo:block><fo:inline
font-style="italic">Italics</fo:inline></fo:block>
            </fo:table-cell>
            <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="0.5pt"
border-color="black">
              <fo:block>Italics represent placeholders in commands and
options for context-sensitive values like file names, device types and
names, numeric values, etc. Chapter and section names are italicized when
referenced in the text as well.</fo:block>
            </fo:table-cell>
          </fo:table-row>
          <fo:table-row>
            <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="0.5pt"
border-color="black">
              <fo:block>
                <fo:block><fo:inline
font-family="monospace">Courier</fo:inline></fo:block>
              </fo:block>
            </fo:table-cell>
            <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="0.5pt"
border-color="black">
              <fo:block>
                <fo:block>Courier is used for literal commands and options,
and output from the computer.</fo:block>
              </fo:block>
            </fo:table-cell>
          </fo:table-row>
        </fo:table-body>
      </fo:table>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

When rendered to PDF, the table border stops at the margin, but the cell
(both text and border) continues to the width of the table cell (which
extends beyond the margin). The result is a line through the text at the
page margin and incorrectly thin lines.

The problem can be solved by ensuring that the column widths do not add up
to more than the width of the page minus its margins. I've done that for my
client in XSLT. The OpenOffice source we're converting to DocBook had some
tables that were wider than the page minus its margins, so I forced the last
column to fit the margin. Consequently, the problem isn't a show-stopper.

However, it seems to me that theres' a bug here. I think FOP should either
stop both the table boundary and the cell boundary at the margin or let both
go to the width specified by the total of the column widths, even if that
violates the margin. (I would prefer the latter.)

Other than that, FOP 0.92beta is working fine for my newest client (so far,
anyway - we're not done with all the customizations yet).

Thanks

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services