From Michael Bruns <michael.br...@schlund.de>
Subject FOP 0.92 and RTF
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:45:31 GMT
Hi,

one of our product managers had the "brilliant" idea to support both PDF
and RTF for some documents so that our customers can mess up the
documents we generate to their liking...yeah, whatever.

As I said we already have a working environment which generates PDF from
XML via XSL-FO with the help of FOP 0.92, and I was pleased to see that
FOP also supports RTF because I really like FOP and the way it works :-)
 So what I tried was (heavily stripped down) the following:

Fop rtfFop = fopFactory.newFop(MimeConstants.MIME_RTF, rtfOut);
Source rtfSource = new DOMSource(doc);
Result rtfResult = new SAXResult(rtfFop.getDefaultHandler());
transformer.transform(rtfSource, rtfResult);
rtfFop.close();

Well, it works...somehow ;-) It really produced an RTF-document, but all
the beautiful design that my PDFs contain was missing - no tables,
regions, absolute positions...

I understand that this is not the way you show in your examples, where
you use stuff like "RtfTable tbl = foo.newTable(bar);". But my question
is now anyway: Will the way I want to use RTF-generation ever be
completely supported by FOP? I.e. will there be a chance to have just
_one_ XSL-FO which I can use for both PDF and RTF?

If not, I have a strong argument against the product manager - if
yes...well, some more work for me ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Michael