From Manuel Mall <man...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Alignment of chinese/english characters
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 15:39:11 GMT
On Friday 11 May 2007 22:20, Brad Smith wrote:
> HI all,
>
> One of our Chinese translators has brought up concerns about fop's
> rendering that I'm not sure what to do about. Aparently in Chinese,
> since all the characters take up the same amount of space, lines
> should always be exactly the same width. Uneven lines look very
> unprofessional.

You are basically mixing a fixed width font (Chinese characters) with a
variable width font. Its basically the same as when you would mix lets
say Courier font with Arial. The fixed width characters will not align
any more because they are are 'intermingled' with the variable width
characters. Two possible solutions:

1. Use a fixed width font in which the western chars have the same width
as the Chinese chars.

2. Set text-align to justify but be warned you may not get the same
effect as with western scripts. Because there are no spaces between the
Chinese chars it may still look 'funny' as the only adjustable
whitespace would be around the western chars.

Manuel