From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Differences between MIME_PDF and MIME_FOP_AWT_PREVIEW
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:10:13 GMT
Following a hunch, I've tried a work-around for the current situation
that might help you. It is possible to run the layout using PDF's font
metrics and then render the document using Java2D. A little test on my
printer gave me almost (!) the same result.

The clue here is the intermediate format. Render the document to the
intermediate format using the PDF renderer as base. Then render the
generated intermediate file once to PDF and once to Java2D (AWT, TIFF,
PNG, Print).

1. Intermediate format:

fop -fo examples/fo/basic/simple.fo -at application/pdf simple.at.xml

                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                        this is important!

2. the PDF:

fop -atin simple.at.xml -pdf simple.pdf

3. Java2D output:

fop -atin simple.at.xml -awt
fop -atin simple.at.xml -tiff simple.tiff
fop -atin simple.at.xml -print

More info on the intermediate format:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/intermediate.html

Maybe that helps.

On 06.03.2008 05:02:31 Will Hollins wrote:
> I have run fop on the same input with both the pdf and awt renderers and
> get different results with both.
> I was just laying out very simple text that spanned multiple lines and
> found that the sizes were different - specifically the awt renderer
> produces smaller text, I suspect this might be a java issue? I have
> tested with both 1.5 and 1.6 and have the same issue. I am using fop 0.94.
> Has anyone come across this problem before?
> Thanks,
> Will

Jeremias Maerki