From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache XML Graphics Commons 1.3 Released
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:22:55 GMT
There is a short description of the image loader framework here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/commons/image-loader.html

ImageIO is too strongly focused on bitmap images IMO. Handling vector
graphic images would have meant bending ImageIO to our will. I don't
think that would have gone well. The image loader framework here is well
suited to describe an image's in-memory representation and to convert
between representations. At any rate, I've made use of ImageIO
facilities whenever feasible.

On 10.03.2008 23:55:13 Daniel Noll wrote:
> On Monday 10 March 2008 18:32:22 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > The most important addition in this release is an image loading
> > framework which supports all sorts of different image formats (bitmap
> > and vector) and is highly extensible.
>
> Interesting.  As I can't see any discussion of this on the web site itself,
> what are the benefits of this image loading framework vs. the ImageIO
> framework included in the JRE?  I ask this as it has the same kind of
> features, such as the ability to get image width and height without loading
> the image itself.  And it has certainly been possible to make custom ImageIO
> classes which handle vector images.
>
> Daniel

Jeremias Maerki