From Manuel Mall ...@arcus.com.au>
Subject RE: font, spacing, and line height
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:05:30 GMT
Steve,

The XSL-FO line building rules are fairly complex (see section 4.5 in the
spec). However, the default case is roughly: Line height, including the
half-leading values, is determined by the font set on the enclosing block.
Any inline areas that are smaller in height will not cause the line height
to shrink but are simply aligned on the appropriate base line. Should an
inline area have a larger BPD than the line height on the enclosing block
the line grows in BPD.

For all the finer details please refer to the specification.

So I believe your attached samples are rendered correctly. Your left column
uses the line height as determined from the Courier New font although all
its content is Times Roman. Your right column uses the Times Roman font
derived line height as set on the block (inherited from the root).

Manuel