From "Martin Edge" <Martin.E...@asmorphic.net.au>
Subject RE: Barcode fonts not displaying correctly when generating PCL
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:26:13 GMT

Just to concur with David – now I’m playing with the Barcode4J extension – with PCL
the DPI does need to be greater. It looked “reasonable” at 144 dpi, but increasing to
300 didn’t have much additional impact on the file size (72dpi -> 144dpi near on doubled
the filesize)
Thanks
Martin.

From: David Gerdt [mailto:Dgerdt@bju.edu]
Sent: Friday, 11 July 2008 10:45 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Barcode fonts not displaying correctly when generating PCL

Just in case it could be this simple...

I've only played with barcodes and I used Barcode4J, not fonts, but I had similar trouble
with how barcodes were rendered when I first started playing with FOP because I didn't specify
the target resolution for the PCL renderer. When I set it to 300 my barcodes came out right.

>>> "Martin Edge" <Martin.Edge@asmorphic.net.au> 7/11/2008 5:26 AM >>>
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to check I’m doing everything correctly.

I am having some problems displaying barcodes in PCL.

http://www.asmorphic.net.au/images/barcodes.jpg is an example of what I’m
seeing.

As I edit the intermediate file, I have performed two tests:

- Generate AT using application/pdf then run –atin –pdf etc – and the
barcodes are displayed properly and scannable.
- Generate AT using application/vnd…..pcl etc – and the barcodes appear very
different and cannot be scanned.

I figure given the PDF renders the fonts partially, the fonts are being
properly loaded into the FOP engine.

My fop.xconf portions for PDF and PCL has:
      <fonts>
                      <directory>c:\pdfbin\fonts\</directory>
      </fonts>

.. and given you can see in the image the font partially works its
definitely loading OK .. Both fonts are True Type Fonts.

The FO content which displays the barcodes:

         <fo:block-container reference-orientation="90"
inline-progression-dimension="680pt">
            <fo:block font-family="3 of 9 Barcode" font-size="18pt"
background-color="white" text-align="start">*1234567890MLQIS*</fo:block>
         </fo:block-container>
      </fo:static-content>

And

                <fo:block text-align="start" margin-top="115pt"
margin-bottom="8pt">
                        <fo:inline font-family="Barcode 4-state"
font-size="12pt"
width="65mm">1301012211021200220022303333301003013</fo:inline>
                        <fo:inline font-family="Helvetica" font-size="6pt"
min-height="16pt"

border-top-width="-20mm">001/000001</fo:inline>
                     </fo:block>

Is there any thing I’m obviously doing wrong here – or is there a potential
problem? If as per the research below I have to create an image it’s
possible I guess – but a bit of a pain ..

Jeremias – I found some  of your emails from 2002/2003 – I hope it’s
possible now!

http://osdir.com/ml/krysalis.devel/2003-12/msg00010.html
http://osdir.com/ml/text.xml.fop.devel/2002-11/msg00231.html

;)