From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Color Profile not applied
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:29:13 GMT
On 10.07.2008 13:28:05 Dominique Bourely wrote:

> Excuse me for the delay.
> More explicetely, the PNG image loses the brilliance when included in PDF
> with FOP.
> I attach an example of such a PDF (
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18380833/test-png-sans-output.pdf
> test-png-sans-output.pdf ) and the original image source (
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18380833/img-test.png img-test.png ).
> On the opposite, when I use Acrobat Distiller to produce a PDF from the
> image (through Photoshop for instance), I am proposed to incorpore a color
> profile, and if (and only if) I accept and choose sRGB, the result is
> correct.

Can you send me that PDF that you produced with Photoshop? When I
produce PDF through means other than FOP, I get either sRGB with washed
out colors or Device RGB or DeviceCMYK.

> So our idea was to simplify the PNG decoder class to avoid image treatment.

There's no "treatment" or the image itself, just evaluation of
information inside the image being loaded. FOP reacts on the and tries
to put the right information inside the PDF.

> Could you help us estimate the workload to achieve this ?

You mean you want to write an option to ignore color profiles on images?
Here's what would be necessary:

There's already a configuration option that lets you disable the default
sRGB color profile which is necessary for making sure all XSL-FO colors
are mapped to PDF properly.
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/configuration.html#pdf-renderer

Switching this on will make it impossible to create PDF/A or
PDF/X-3:2003.

The key change is in org.apache.fop.render.pdf.ImageRenderedAdapter (in
the case of PNG images) where you'd need to override the ColorSpace
sent to the PDF library with the device-specific variant.

Then you'll need a way to signal that into the code. You can define an
extension attribute for fo:external-graphic (like
fox:ignore-color-profile="true") that is evaluated in
PDFRenderer.putImage(). I assume the AbstractImageAdapter will need to
be changed to carry that signal.

Please note: I consider this a hack or a desperate measure if all else
fails. Ignoring the color management is a way to fall back to
device-specific colors which is known to produce the color fidelity you
expect on screen. I'd rather find out if there's a bug in the way FOP
handles color profiles. But if I see so many other programs fail at
producing the colors you expect I have low hopes. Maybe your PDF gives
me a clue.

> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >
> > FOP 0.95beta uses the sRGB color space by default (because XSL-FO
> > defines all RGB colors in the sRGB color space). FOP always embeds an
> > sRGB color profile. So specifying another sRGB color space explicitely
> > doesn't have any effect. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "an issue
> > regarding color brilliance"?
> >
> > Please also see my previous answers on similar questions:
> > http://www.nabble.com/file/p18380833/test-png-sans-output.pdf
> > test-png-sans-output.pdf
> > http://markmail.org/message/3tuims2gjbconya5
> > http://markmail.org/message/qithk3gcoyrane3a
> >
> > For FOP Trunk, the sRGB disabling option might be something related to
> > this:
> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/configuration.html#pdf-renderer
> >
> > On 30.06.2008 10:35:13 Dominique Bourely wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We use FOP extensively and we are facing now an issue regarding color
> >> brilliance of some of our included images.
> >> To keep this brilliance in the result PDF, we tried to use the sRGB Color
> >> Space Profile.icm in the conf file.
> >> But with no effect.
> >>
> >> We use FOP 0.95b, along with xml-common-graphics-1.3.1
> >>
> >> Has someone any idea ?
> >>

> >> --
> >

> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki