From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Barcode fonts not displaying correctly when generating PCL
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:19:11 GMT
On Jul 13, 2008, at 02:53, Martin Edge wrote:

Hi Martin

> I notice now when generating the PCL - I additionally get these
> errors:
>
> 13/07/2008 10:46:06 org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile
> determineAscDesc
> WARNING: Ascender and descender together are larger than the em
> box. This
> could
> lead to a wrong baseline placement in Apache FOP.
> 13/07/2008 10:46:06 org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile
> determineAscDesc
> WARNING: Ascender and descender together are larger than the em
> box. This
> could
> lead to a wrong baseline placement in Apache FOP.
> 13/07/2008 10:46:09 org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener
> processEvent
> INFO: Adjusting end-indent based on overconstrained geometry rules for
> fo:table.
>  (See position 30:92)
>
> What do these mean?

The warning messages are indicators that the TrueType font(s) in
question is(are) possibly problematic when used with FOP.

I haven't really looked closer at the cause of those messages, but I
get them as well when the auto-detect feature tries to create metrics
for some of the (non-barcode) fonts I have installed. This could
point to an issue in the TTFFileReader, which makes certain
assumptions about where/how the ascender/descender values are stored
in the file, and for some variants of TrueType fonts, these
assumptions turn out to be incorrect... (wild guess?)

Now, the ascender/descender of the font-metrics are used by the
layoutengine when determining the baseline-placement (necessary for
correctly handling alignment-adjust and baseline-shift and the like),
hence why the warning is shown.

Cheers

Andreas