From Ryan Lortie <de...@desrt.ca>
Subject Re: Undesirable line breaks
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:05:45 GMT
On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 01:49 +0200, Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> At what point? I assume it's right before the '+', correct?
Correct.

> If the layout engine uses Unicode TR#14 as reference to determine the
> line-breaks, then a break between 'k' and '+' would be allowed. '+'
> belongs to the class of Numeric Prefix characters (PR), and as such
> allows a break before but not a break after. (see: http://www.unicode/
> reports/tr14/#DescriptionOfProperties)

I was not aware of this standard.  I find that to be a rather odd choice
to make (in the meantime I've thought of other common cases like "A+"
and "C++", etc.).  Oh well :)

> Another alternative would be something like: <fo:wrapper keep-
> together.within-line="always">Gtk+</fo:wrapper>

With all of these workarounds it's getting to the point where nearly
every part of the output from my stylesheets is littered with millions
if <inline> elements :)

To be more specific about what I was wondering about: is there any way
to tell FOP in a general sense "please be less intelligent, and only
break on ASCII space characters."?

In any case, thanks for the insight.

Cheers