From "Amick, Eric" <Eric.Am...@mail.house.gov>
Subject RE: Undesirable line breaks
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:39:05 GMT
>> FOP is currently producing undesired line breaks.  I'm having this
>> problem with FOP 0.95 and svn trunk.
>>
>> The problem is that FOP thinks that it's appropriate to split "Gtk+"
>> across two lines.

>> I can't think of any other text layout engine that would consider
that
>> to be a legitimate place to insert a break.

>At what point? I assume it's right before the '+', correct?

>If the layout engine uses Unicode TR#14 as reference to determine the
line-breaks,
>then a break between 'k' and '+' would be allowed. '+'
>belongs to the class of Numeric Prefix characters (PR), and as such
allows a break before
>but not a break after. (see: http://www.unicode/
>reports/tr14/#DescriptionOfProperties)

The following description of the numeric prefix characters from the
Unicode standard suggests it shouldn't be breaking there:

Characters that usually precede a numerical expression may not be
separated from following numeric characters or following opening
characters, even if a space character intervenes. For example, there is
no break opportunity in "$ (100.00)".

Many currency signs can appear on both sides, or even the middle, of a
numeric expression. Therefore the line breaking algorithm, by default,
does not break between PR [numeric prefix] and numbers or *letters* on
either side. [emphasis mine]

Eric Amick
Legislative Computer Systems
Office of the Clerk