From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: docbook bookmarks and xpdf
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:28:06 GMT
If this is the result you get, you're using a non-conforming JVM. For
encoding the title, FOP uses "UTF-16" encoding for which you can find in
the spec:
"When decoding, the UTF-16 charset interprets a byte-order mark to
indicate the byte order of the stream but defaults to big-endian if
there is no byte-order mark; when encoding, it uses big-endian byte
order and writes a big-endian byte-order mark."

See:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/nio/charset/Charset.html

So if you get little endian, that means the class library you're using
misbehaves. I'd make sure you're really using the right JVM.

On 09.09.2008 22:32:08 Dale P. Smith wrote:
> Dale P. Smith <dalepsmith <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Using dockbook and the dockbook-xsl stylesheets, along with setting the
> > fop1.extensions parameter to '1', I'm seeing some ugliness in xpdf.
>
> I should have mentioned: fop 0.95, xpdf 3.02, docbook-xsl 1.74.0, java is from a
> Debian package (Lenny).  I'm pretty sure it was jre-6.  Unfortunately, that
> machine died over the weekend.
>
> Here is (hopefully) a little more clear explanation of what is going on.
>
> Basically, I'm getting bookmark /Title's that are like this:
>
>  /Title
> <FFFE5000610072007400A00049002E00A0005000610072007400>
>
> I'm pretty sure that's a little endian encoding, and I believe the pdf spec says
> it needs to be big endian.
>
> Thanks,
>   -Dale

Jeremias Maerki