From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: FOP 0.95 and iText for watermarks throws "Content is not allowed prolog" when referencing the FOP configuration file
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:57:58 GMT
Hmm, I guess I'll have to take a closer look at this when I have more
time. I seems that

      <filterList>
        <!-- provides compression using zlib flate (default is on) -->
        <value>flate</value>

        <!-- encodes binary data into printable ascii characters (default off)
             This provides about a 4:5 expansion of data size -->
        <!-- <value>ascii-85</value> -->

        <!-- encodes binary data with hex representation (default off)
             This filter is not recommended as it doubles the data size -->
        <!-- <value>ascii-hex</value> -->
      </filterList>

also activates the "flate" filter for the XMP stream but that stream
must never be compressed. Anil, please just remove the entire
"filterList" element from the configuration file. After that it should
all work. The defaults will still make sure that the PDF is compressed.

HTH

On 11.09.2008 21:12:51 Anil Pinto wrote:
> Jeremias,
>
> Here are the PDF files and other resources in a .zip that I hope shed light on the situation.
>
> The image file is a snapshot of the diff tool showing the section that I mentioned in
my previous email. Note that when I copy the contents of the left and overwrite the contents
on the right and save the PDF, the water mark is now created by iText without complains.

> Hope this help and I really appreciate you taking the time to help further investigate
this problem. Let me know if there is any more information you would like.

> Thanks,
> Anil Pinto.

versions of FOP but not with iText (2.1.3).

> > I was able to get the watermark to appear without problems when running iText on
a PDF created by FOP 0.95 from the command prompt. When I tried the same from a PDF created
using a standalone Java problem that used the API FOP  I encountered the error

> > Exception in thread "main" ExceptionConverter: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content
is not allowed in prolog.
> >         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:264)
> >         at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:292)
> >         at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(DocumentBuilder.java:98)
> >         at com.lowagie.text.xml.xmp.XmpReader.<init>(Unknown Source)
> >         at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfStamperImp.close(Unknown Source)
> >         at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfStamper.close(Unknown Source)
> >         at temp.ITextTest.watermark(ITextTest.java:200)
> >         at temp.ITextTest.applyWaterMark(ITextTest.java:128)
> >         at temp.ITextTest.main(ITextTest.java:218)
> >
> > I initially thought it was something to do with (maybe) different parser references
in the classpath. But was then able to replicate the problem with the same jars on the classpath.

> > I am using JDK 1.5.0_06 with the necessary jars provided by fop.
> >
> > The cause of the problem seemed to be when I used the user configuration reference
to configure the fop. I was able to recreate the problem from the command line now while referencing
the configuration file (fop.xconf). Without the config file iText gladly adds the watermark
text.

> > On comparing the 2 pdfs in a comparison tool, I saw the following code/tags in the
pdf that works (no config reference) that did not exist in the pdf that did not work (referenced
config).

> > stream
> > <?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>
> >
> > <x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/">
> > <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
> > <rdf:Description xmlns:pdf="http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/1.3/" rdf:about="">
> > <pdf:PDFVersion>1.4</pdf:PDFVersion>
> > <pdf:Producer>Apache FOP Version 0.95</pdf:Producer>
> > </rdf:Description>
> > <rdf:Description xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/" rdf:about="">
> > <xmp:CreateDate>2008-09-10T16:53:50-07:00</xmp:CreateDate>
> > </rdf:Description>
> > <rdf:Description xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" rdf:about="">
> > <dc:date>
> > <rdf:Seq>
> > <rdf:li>2008-09-10T16:53:50-07:00</rdf:li>
> > </rdf:Seq>
> > </dc:date>
> > </rdf:Description>
> > </rdf:RDF>
> > </x:xmpmeta>
> > <?xpacket end="r"?>
> > endstream
> >
> > On overwriting this information to the other PDF (overwriting binary contents between
stream and endstream), iText stops complaining and creates the watermark.

> > I am not sure why the configuration file reference is introducing some content that
iText does not like, but I need to reference the configuration file.

> > Any help towards getting this problem resolved is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Anil Pinto.
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki