From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Undesirable line breaks
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:49:03 GMT
On Sep 12, 2008, at 22:14, Ryan Lortie wrote:

Hi Ryan

> FOP is currently producing undesired line breaks.  I'm having this
> problem with FOP 0.95 and svn trunk.
>
> The problem is that FOP thinks that it's appropriate to split "Gtk+"
> across two lines.

> I can't think of any other text layout engine that
> would consider that to be a legitimate place to insert a break.

At what point? I assume it's right before the '+', correct?

If the layout engine uses Unicode TR#14 as reference to determine the
line-breaks, then a break between 'k' and '+' would be allowed. '+'
belongs to the class of Numeric Prefix characters (PR), and as such
allows a break before but not a break after. (see: http://www.unicode/
reports/tr14/#DescriptionOfProperties)

> I've tried changing the language parameters around but that doesn't
> have much
> effect.
>
> Can anyone think of a quick workaround that I can use to deal with
> this
> problem?

Try something like "Gtk&#xFEFF;+" (zero-width no-break space) or
"Gtk&#x2060;+" (word-joiner). Inserting one of those should suffice
to prevent FOP from considering breaking the text there.

Another alternative would be something like: <fo:wrapper keep-
together.within-line="always">Gtk+</fo:wrapper>

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas