From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Undesirable line breaks
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:46:42 GMT
On Sep 15, 2008, at 18:43, Andreas Delmelle wrote:

BTW:

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 09:05, Ryan Lortie wrote:
>> <snip />
>> With all of these workarounds it's getting to the point where nearly
>> every part of the output from my stylesheets is littered with
>> millions
>> if <inline> elements :)
>
> Probably better in your case to insert auxiliary codepoints then.

Note that my original alternative uses fo:wrapper rather than
fo:inline. In cases where you don't need borders, padding or special
alignment adjustments, fo:wrapper is much more appropriate and
efficient than fo:inline. (confirmed with FOP; I haven't checked
other implementations for this, but I assume something similar holds
there: fo:inlines generate their own area(s), so necessarily imply an
increase in both processing-time and memory consumption)

I guess this simple fact still needs to find its way to the site
(Memory Usage Hints). A lot of 3rd party stylesheets I've seen so
far, generate fo:inlines in situations where this is actually a
complete waste. This results in many XSL-FO novices only considering
fo:block or fo:inline as possible alternatives (since eventually,
they start off by mimicking the examples they encounter).

Just something that crossed my mind...

Cheers

Andreas