From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: 0.95: suppress debug output
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 07:51:35 GMT

On 08.01.2009 02:28:38 kennardconsulting wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Apologies if this is answered somewhere (I have looked, honest!), but how do
> I suppress the...
>
>    DEBUG [FOP] <some message>
>    DEBUG [FOP] <some message>
>    DEBUG [FOP] <some message>
>
> ...in my output? I have tried:
>
> 1. Setting the log4J category 'FOP' to 'WARN', but the 'DEBUG' messages
> still appear?

If any debug-level log messages still appear it means you haven't caught
the right category, yet. Most FOP classes use a log category in the form
"org.apache.fop.*" but some command-line-related classes still use the
category "FOP" (top-level), I think. Basically, FOP just calls Apache
Commons Logging methods and doesn't care about which logging backend is
used. That means you have to make sure the right logging backend (Log4J)
is used. If you just have Log4J in the classpath and do nothing else,
that should already be the case. Not sure how else to help.

> 2. Looking at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/tags/fop-0_95/src/java/org/apache/fop/servlet/FopServlet.java,
> which says it configures a 'logger to give to FOP', but I can't see where it
> actually gives it to FOP?

Agreed. Looks like a left-over of some kind with no function.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Richard.

Jeremias Maerki