From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: PFMReader question
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:48:50 GMT
Executive summary: the AFM alone is usually sufficient.

Both AFM and PFM contain a different set of font metrics. For
well-behaved Type1 fonts, the AFM alone is sufficient. When testing I
found at least one font where the PFM provided some information that
wasn't contained in the AFM. The Type1FontLoader class (responsible for
are available.

On 12.01.2009 10:33:30 Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > No, you need the AFM and PFM but you don't need the XML file generated
> > by PFMReader. Actually PFMReader, as the name says, can only read the
> > PFM file, but without the XML font metrics file, FOP can actually read
> > the AFM, too, and use the more complete metrics information contained in
> > it.
>
> Ok, so I take it that the PFM *and* the AFM are needed. But if FOP uses the
> AFM for metrics, then why is the PFM needed at all?
>
> Ulrich

Jeremias Maerki