From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Some FOP font warnings...
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:42:48 GMT
On 13.01.2009 19:15:13 Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> I am getting this when using a Dingbats font and rendering to PDF:
>
> WARNING: Substituted specified hyphenation character (0x2d) with 0x20 because
> the font doesn't have the specifiedhyphenation character: Dingbats,normal,400
>
> Kind of weird, since the line is very short and hyphenation seems neither
> necessary, nor is it configured. What does this warning mean? The generated
> PDF looks fine, though.

The TextLayoutManager currently always retrieves the width of the hyphen
(and space) glyph instead of doing lazy initialization. Patches to
improve things like that are welcome.

> If I render the same FO to PS, then I do not get this warning, but instead
> two others:
>
> WARNING: Font 'NimbusSansCondensed,normal,400' not found. Substituting with
> 'any,normal,400'.
> WARNING: Font 'Dingbats,normal,400' not found. Substituting with
> 'any,normal,400'.

Looks like those two fonts were not registered for the PostScript
renderer. Note that font configuration is still separate per renderer.

> The dingbats character (0x274F - a checkbox icon) is actually missing in the
> PS and the Nimbus Sans Condensed font is replaced by Times.
>
> If anyone wants to look, I can send a Zip, which contains the FO file, my
> fop.xconf and the fonts used (they're from the Ghostscript distribution, so I
> think it's ok to send them around).

Not necessary. It's obvious what's going on.

Jeremias Maerki