From Peter Coppens <pc.subscripti...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scale fop created pages for pdf output
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:54:01 GMT

Thanks Jeremias.  As always to the point and helpful

Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:

> This could be done using a similar approach as I've taken with my
> PDF-in-PDF plug-in for FOP. Each page could be converted to a PDF Form
> and then painted from a newly set-up page with the new dimensions. That
> could lead to a nice new function for PDFBox. They're also always
> looking for contributors. ;-)

I'll try to schedule some time to experiment with PDFBox to write such a
scaling tool, based on your pdf image extension. Having close to no
knowledge on PDF or PDFBox...that'll be...interesting.

> Also you might want to take a look at Multivalent. It has a good impose
> function. Maybe it can be mistreated for your purposes.

Multivalent has indeed what I was looking for (thanks for the pointer, I was
not aware of the project), but its license is a bit unclear to me. Also
could not find the source code.

> Another possibility is to use the new intermediate format I'm currently
> writing for FOP. It allows arbitrary transformation matrices which could
> be used to do something like you need. No guarantee that it'll work. I
> haven't done any tests in that direction. And it can only work for
> formats like PDF, PS and Java2D. For PCL and AFP this will definitely
> not work due to the format limitations. But I assume that won't bother
> you.

Well, that would certainly be the most optimal approach in terms of
performance, but I am not sure it would be optimal in terms of amount of
work and delivery date.