From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Upgrading FOP: ascii vs. binary PDFs
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:40:18 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Looking at the default configuration file in 0.20.5 we did indeed have
> ascii-85 in the filter list. But since most people care more about file
> size than readability in a text editor, our current default without the
> ascii-85 filter is probably better.

Agreed and I wish that had been the default in FOP 0.20.5 as well :)

It would have prevented me from defining an XML-based protocol for
transporting FOP-generated PDFs through the stages of our workflow system.
Adding support for binary data in the protocol would break all the clients.

Anyway, the ascii-85 filter works perfectly for now.

Thanks a lot,

Ulrich