From "Rich" <...@sbcma.com>
Subject Re: JRE and AWT
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:58:08 GMT
Thank you for your reply, Andreas.

Let me respond to your questions...

>>   Could anyone explain the relative performance difference between - pcl
>> and -print?
>
> Not sure... Do you mean you have compared, and noticed a difference,  or
> are you just asking whether there is any at all? In the latter  case, I
> haven't run comparative benchmarks myself lately, but I'd  expect PCL to
> be slightly faster and more light-weight (more direct?)

So far I have only loaded the JRE and tested (rudimentally) the -pcl option.
My question is based on a concern about a full Java startup for each print
request and how that might affect the print speed.
It is hard to replicate in development the printing demands our customers
make, so I would like to get a better understanding of the "demands" made on
the Java environment when the -print option is used vs say the -pcl option.

>> Is full Java necessary to use -print?
>> What precisely is needed for AWT support for printing?
>
> I'm not up to speed as to the exact requirements.
> Do you have a specific target environment in mind with certain
> limitations? (A headless server, for example? Should be no problem,
> IIRC.)

Our customers run on single processor Dell servers running Windows Server
2003.  Not the fastest nor the most robust of operating systems, but
definitely in our customers' affordability range.  Demands like Terminal
Services are often added on top of the demands of our own application.

Thanks again,
                       Rich Filoramo