From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: FOP Exception
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:49:44 GMT
Hi Mike

On 09.04.2009 18:40:16 Mike.Miller wrote:

> I've run into the following error in my attempt to implement the FOP
> package in a Lotus Domino application:
> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Don't know how to handle
> "application/pdf" as an output format. Neither an FOEventHandler, nor a
> Renderer could be found for this output format.
> at
> org.apache.fop.render.RendererFactory.createFOEventHandler(RendererFactory.java:212)
>
> I found this post here:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/200605.mbox/%3C20060510102135.BB9A.DEV@jeremias-maerki.ch%3E
>
> ...and a post related to Lotus Domino here:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/200610.mbox/%3COF6A4D513C.8F587B6D-ONC125720D.003ED103-C125720D.003FA89D@TIMETOACT.DE%3E
>
> ...but setting the element mapping to the various classes (FOElementMapping
> , SVGElementMapping, BatikExtensionElementMapping, XMPElementMapping,
> RDFElementMapping, PSExtensionElementMapping) does not seem to have the
> same result as reading the properties files.
>
> My preferred method is to set the properties directly and not have to have
> read the properties files located on the file system.

The properties are not really read from the file system. We're using the
"Service Provider Mechanism" of the JAR specification to look up
plug-ins in the classpath. The files being loaded are found in the
META-INF/services directory of the various JAR files. I assume that the
Lotus Domino has a somewhat special way of providing the class loaders.
As a result the Service class in xmlgraphics-commons.jar doesn't see the
SPI files with the class names for the renderers in fop.jar. Since I
don't know Lotus Domino, I don't know how to help. The general advice is
to make sure that the various JARs needed by FOP end up in the same
class loader. Not sure how you can apply that to Lotus Domino.

> Is this even possible
> using the approach Tobias describes?

Tobias used a work-around by registering the various plug-ins manually.
But there are so many plug-ins at different points in FOP so I don't
think that approach is really practical.

I would suggest to ask Lotus Domino support for help with the
information above. Or maybe we have a Lotus Domino expert here who has
some ideas. Good luck!

Jeremias Maerki