From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Disabling random prefix of embedded fonts in PDF
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:51:45 GMT
Hi Kostis,
the prefix is required by the PDF specification for fonts that are
embedded as subsets.

From PDF 1.4, chapter 5.5.3 Subset fonts:
"For a font subset, the PostScript name of the font—the value of the
font’s BaseFont entry and the font descriptor’s FontName entry—begins
with a tag followed by a plus sign (+). The tag consists of exactly six
uppercase letters; the choice of letters is arbitrary, but different
subsets in the same PDF file must have different tags. For example,
EOODIA+Poetica is the name of a subset of Poetica®, a Type 1 font."

So it's not possible to disable this. The only thing you can do is to
use the font in single-byte (WinAnsi) mode. See:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#embedding
(look for "encoding-mode")

Fop can not currently embed and use full fonts in multi-byte mode.

On 15.04.2009 23:16:09 Kostis Kapelonis wrote:
> Hello
>
> According to the fonts faq at
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/fonts.html :
>
> "When FOP embeds a font, it adds a prefix to the fontname to ensure that
> the name will not match the fontname of an installed font. This is
> helpful with older versions of Acrobat Reader that preferred installed
> fonts over embedded fonts."
>
> Is it possible to disable this with an option/setting/property/switch?
>
> I am asking this because I cannot edit the resulting PDF file with Adobe
> Acrobat (version 8). It complains that it cannot find the fonts the
> document is using.
>
> Thank you

Jeremias Maerki