From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom Type1 Font with Postscript Renderer
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:19:40 GMT
Hi Kuno,

qnob wrote:
> Vincent,
>
> thanks you for the complementary information, that I was missing in the
> actual documentation. It seams that this part of FOP is in development.
>
> The reason why I stick on Arial is, that I need to support different output
> renderer with an identical layout. And the Arial font is a requirement.
> Therefore, I want to try the different possibilities in order to achieve the
> best result. Anyway, after a few tests, Helvetica seams to me a reasonable
> alternative.

When Arial was created, a requirement was that it have compatible
metrics with Helvetica. Although it’s not a clone (glyphs look slightly
different, for exemple ‘t’ and ‘a’), it’s close enough that people who
are not in the know don’t notice the difference. Nimbus Sans L, OTOH,
really is a clone of Helvetica, which means that its glyphs should look
identical.

So if you don’t use the additional glyphs available with the modern
Arial, you can probably safely switch between the two.

> I might investigate more time in order to get custom fonts working. So far,
> I didn't success, even with the trunk version.

In my experience the <directory> element in the config file doesn’t work
well. The safest way to configure fonts is to do it ‘by hand’:
  <fop version="1.0">
    <renderers>
      <renderer mime="application/postscript">
        <fonts>
        </fonts>
      </renderer>
    </renderers>
  </fop>

With the above config file, the Nimbus Sans L font should work for
PostScript output in all its variants, both with FOP 0.95 (since PFM
files are present in the same directory) and FOP Trunk.

> How to generate PFM file, I
> don't know at the moment.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Greets