From Georg Datterl <gdatt...@geneon.de>
Subject AW: AW: Table height issue
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:24:34 GMT
Hi Ronnie,

Basically (and simplified), in my case I have two colums and the shorter columns has to be
extended. So I build my table with one block in each column. Each block is marked by an id.
Then I serialize my table into a fo file and generate the area tree, an intermediate format
between fo and pdf. This format is an xml tree with all the basic informations like page,
column and line breaks, size of areas and so on. I search for the marked blocks, get their
height and compare. Then I extend the smaller block in my original table and serialize again.
Now I can generate the PDF and both columns have the same height.

Problems:
* I have to generate the area tree for each table. That takes some time.
* One of my blocks contains a table, which gives basically unpredictable results if split
over more than two pages.
* What should happen if there's a page break after one column is already finished? In that
case you won't find the block on the second page and extending the block might change the
break position and then the calculated block height is incorrect.

You should make REALLY sure you REALLY need that feature.

http://markmail.org/search/?q=georg.datterl+from%3A%22Georg+Datterl%22+list%3Aorg.apache.xmlgraphics.fop-users+type%3Ausers+date%3A200804-201002++table

that should give you a list of my postings talking about tables. Read at you own peril. :-)

You can get the area tree with this code:

            FopFactory fopFactory = FopFactory.newInstance();
                fopFactory.setUserConfig(new File("fonts/fop.xconf"));
            FOUserAgent foUserAgent = fopFactory.newFOUserAgent();
            SAXTransformerFactory mpFactory = (SAXTransformerFactory)SAXTransformerFactory.newInstance();
            Transformer transformer =  mpFactory.newTransformer();
            TransformerHandler handler = mpFactory.newTransformerHandler();
            DOMResult domResult = new DOMResult();
            handler.setResult(domResult);

            org.apache.fop.render.Renderer targetRenderer =
            foUserAgent.getRendererFactory().createRenderer(
                            foUserAgent, MimeConstants.MIME_PDF);

            XMLRenderer renderer = new XMLRenderer();
            renderer.mimicRenderer(targetRenderer);
            renderer.setContentHandler(handler);
            renderer.setUserAgent(foUserAgent);

            foUserAgent.setRendererOverride(renderer);

            Fop fop = fopFactory.newFop(foUserAgent);
            Result res = new SAXResult(fop.getDefaultHandler());
            transformer.transform(source, res);  // source is a StreamSource containing the
fo file
            return  (org.w3c.dom.Document)domResult.getNode();

Hope that helps.

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl