From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we have flow from left to right as we are having top to bottom.
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:51:33 GMT
Hi,

Tecra wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can we have flow from left to right as we are having top to bottom?.
>
> Example: usually we can use <fo:flow and have as many as number of fo:block
> and big paragraphs init. and if the page is full it flows to the next page
> from top to bottom. Does we have anything similar which allows us to flow
> the content from left to right rather than top to bottom because i have a
> table which has so many number of columns which prints side by side(left and
> right) as a book.
>
> Any help/comments/suggestions on this are greatly appreciated.

What you need is not covered by the XSL-FO 1.1 Recommendation. There are
talks about introducing such a feature in XSL-FO 2.0. Have a look there:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xslfo20-req-20080326/#N66228
Don’t expect it to be implemented in FOP any time soon, though.

If your table fits on one page in the block progression direction; that
is, if your table is very wide but not very high, then you can probably
hand-code something. Compute how many columns fit on one page, and split
the table column-wise accordingly, into as many smaller tables as
necessary that you would put each on its own page, using forced breaks
if necessary.

HTH,
Vincent