From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding an image or character to denote line-wrap locations?
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 11:03:44 GMT
Hi Brad,

Brad Smith wrote:
> To prevent truncated lines, my stylesheets currently have <screen>,
> <programlisting>, etc map to fo:blocks with wrap-option="wrap". It
> would be really nice, though, if locations where line wraps are
> inserted could be denoted with some kind of graphic, or even a simple
> '\'. I've got a script that can do this, but it's a bit unreliable,
> since all it can do is count characters to figure out where lines
> should break. Does anyone know of a better way of dealing with this
> problem?

To my knowledge there is no possibility to achieve that in plain XSL-FO.
I think the best way of handling this issue is to perform line breaks
manually. That’s probably what you want anyway, as you will break at
sensible places while an automatic process would blindly break after,
say, each 80 characters, be it in the middle of a keyword or not.

Try and determine how many characters you can put on a line, manually do
your line breaking, then disable automatic line breaking by setting
wrap-option="no-wrap".

HTH,
Vincent