From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding an image or character to denote line-wrap locations?
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:50:48 GMT
Hi Jared,

Jared Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 11:03 +0000, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>> To my knowledge there is no possibility to achieve that in plain XSL-FO.
>> I think the best way of handling this issue is to perform line breaks
>> manually. That’s probably what you want anyway, as you will break at
>> sensible places while an automatic process would blindly break after,
>> say, each 80 characters, be it in the middle of a keyword or not.
>
> Is this simply a missing feature in FOP, or something missing in XSL-FO?
> I see many XSL stylesheets do something like:
>
> <xsl:attribute-set name="monospace.verbatim.properties"
> use-attribute-sets="verbatim.properties monospace.properties">
>    <xsl:attribute name="text-align">start</xsl:attribute>
>    <xsl:attribute name="wrap-option">wrap</xsl:attribute>
>    <xsl:attribute name="hyphenation-character">\</xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:attribute-set>
>
> But FOP doesn't even add the hyphenation character at all when it wraps
> a long line.

It does. Like its name indicates, the hyphenation-character property
specifies which character should be used when hyphenating a word. So it
will be used only when a line break occurs within a word.

The requirements of the present case are different. Stylesheets doing
things like the above are just abusing the hyphenation-character
property.

HTH,
Vincent