From chandone <echan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: reduce size of PDF generated with FOP
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:57:15 GMT
Is it indeed? Well, the fact is that I generate PDFs in two different ways:

- individual PDFs,
- the same PDFs, but concatenated together into one big PDF, using the
Apache pdfbox PDFMergerUtility.mergeDocuments() method.

Compared to the ones generated by FrameMaker, the individual PDFs grow from
50-60 KB to 100-150 KB. In these PDF, the header and footer images are
present only once.
In the second case, the images are obviously repeated lots of times and the
document grow from 1-2 MB to 23 MB. In this case, I assume that, as the
images are originally part of separated document that were then merged, they
are actually present lots of times in the global document. But, as I said
before, images are not responsible for the huge size of the PDF alone, as
when I remove them the PDF is still 21 MB.
I'm afraid I am not at liberty to divulge the PDFs I'm referring to but I'll
see if I can manage to generate a dummy one. That may not be easy.