From Luis Bernardo <lmpmberna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AFP images
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2013 23:31:12 GMT

A follow-up...

I have been investigating the JPEG with CMYK issue and I found a
solution. I have not looked at the other issues yet.

First, I don't think I provided the best link to the issue but it is
"known fact" that the Sun ImageIO JPEG reader does not handle JPEG with
CMYK. Now, in a famous bug that apparently is not available anymore
(http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4799903) there was a
comment that explained how to convert the CMYK color space to RGB if
(and this is important) a CMYK ICC profile is provided. This workaround
is implemented in xmlgraphics (in ImageLoaderImageIO).

Your provided sample_cmyk.jpg file does not include an embedded ICC
profile. That is why the colors in the resulting AFP are completely off.
If I embed a CMYK ICC profile then I do get the colors converted to RGB.

I also found a ImageIO library that can read JPEG with CMYK:
https://java.net/projects/twelvemonkeys-imageio. Probably there are more
but I tested this one with your image and the resulting AFP colors are
indeed in the CMYK space. (note: get the twelvemonkeys source from the
git repo, not from the svn).

Attached is your original sample_cmyk.jpg image, the same image with a
CMYK ICC profile embedded, and two AFP outputs, the default output and
the output using the twelvemonkeys ImageIO plugins. Attached is also the
fop.xconf to use. There is apparently some bug in xmlgraphics that
causes the JPEG image intrinsic resolution not to be respected if a ICC
profile is embedded (the workaround is then to specify the
source-resolution in the conf file).