From Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <tor-ei...@jarnbjo.name>
Subject Re: font family name with lower case
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:19:37 GMT
The XLS-FO specification does not mention if font names should be
treated case insensitive, but refers to the CSS2 specification, which
states that it is beyond the specification to define if font names are
case sensitive or not (clever way to allow ambiguity).

The CSS3 specification states that font names are case insensitive.

Since the specification leaves it up to the implementation to do
whatever it sees fit, FOP does at least not violate the specifications
by requiring case sensitivity in the font names. Using a case
insensitive font name matching (as required by CSS3) would of course
raise new problems as well and not only be convenient. What if the font
manager used by the rendering enige is case sensitive itself and allows
"a" and "A" to be two different fonts? Which font should be picked if
you refer to them as "a" or "A" in the font-family attribute?

Regards,
Tor