From "jfrm.maurel@gmail.com" <jfrm.mau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: font family name with lower case
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:28:46 GMT
Le 19/07/2014 15:19, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo a écrit :

Hi Tor-Einar Jarnbjo,

Thanks for your answer.

> The XLS-FO specification does not mention if font names should be
> treated case insensitive, but refers to the CSS2 specification, which
> states that it is beyond the specification to define if font names are
> case sensitive or not (clever way to allow ambiguity).
>
> The CSS3 specification states that font names are case insensitive.

Thank you for this detailed information.

> Since the specification leaves it up to the implementation to do
> whatever it sees fit, FOP does at least not violate the specifications
> by requiring case sensitivity in the font names. Using a case
> insensitive font name matching (as required by CSS3) would of course
> raise new problems as well and not only be convenient. What if the
> font manager used by the rendering enige is case sensitive itself and
> allows "a" and "A" to be two different fonts? Which font should be
> picked if you refer to them as "a" or "A" in the font-family attribute?

I agree that a case sensitive recognition is more rigorous. As a user I
would like a more detailed message when the font is not found.

The different behaviour between Fop and Batik is also confusing.

Regards

--
Jean-François MAUREL
PIMECA