I do get the behavior you describe if I use the arial font file you provided but I get a different result if I use an arial font file from my system. I do still get the problem with copy and paste from PDF, but all characters are correctly displayed in the PDF (converted from PS with ps2pdf). I suggest you try different Arial fonts since that seems to impact the result.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Lembit Gerz <Lembit.Gerz@nortal.com> wrote:
Hi Chris

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the problem persists. I have attatched a minimal set of files to reproduce the problem.
Here's what I did:
Downloaded the trunk version and ran "ant all".
Placed the contents of fopp.zip to the fop root directory.
Ran "fop -xml name.xml -xsl name2fo.xsl -ps name.ps -c fop-config.xml"
Ran "ps2pdf name.ps name.pdf"
I also tried with ohter fonts like Verdana and Times New Roman, but the two problematic letters still appear as boxes.
If I remove the "single-byte" encoding, all the letters are displayed correctly, but then I cannot copy any of the Lithuanian letters from the PDF.

Thanks,

Lembit

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Bowditch [mailto:bowditch_chris@hotmail.com]
Sent: 27. oktoober 2014. a. 18:21
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Encoding problem with one specific letter and postscript

Hi Lembit,

Sorry for slow reply, I've been on holiday. You really need to add

<optimize-resources>true</optimize-resources>

element to your fop.xconf file in the Postscript Renderer section.
Without that FOP can't accurately judge which characters can be subset or not.

Adding encoding-mode attribute will circumvent the subset issue because it will embed up to 256 characters, but since you are using a wide range of characters that probably isn't enough.

I also recommend testing the Trunk version if that doesn't resolve your issue, since a lot of bugs have been fixed since v1.1 was released.

Thanks,

Chris